Thursday, May 7, 2009

Movie: My Bloody Valentine 3D

((spoilers))

I'm a huge horror fan, thanks to my Daddy who let me watch stuff like Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a wee lass. Child's Play traumatized me for life. I hate that friggin' thing.

Anyway, as we both love to be scared shitless, there was absolutely no fucking way we wouldn't go see MBV3D as soon as possible. Uh, real-d horror? Blood everywhere? Jensen Ackles (that one's for me, Dad was all, who is that guy? because he's a heathen and doesn't watch SPN)? We were so in.

And it's good. Not OMG!scary, but then again, most classic slashers weren't, at least to me. And since this one's a remake (one of the many, many, many remakes coming out this year), I kind of expected that. Still, it was amusingly disgusting (the eyeball! And the pickaxe flying at me! So fun!) and we screamed quite a bit. Because that's what you do when there's pointy stuff flying at you.

I hadn't seen the original (but I might), so I have no idea if the final twist is new or not. Still, I liked it. I like how it wasn't the typical 'monster kills drunken teenagers' slasher, but most of the main cast were adults and the killer wasn't just another Jason/Myers type freak.

That was probably my favorite part of the film, the final reveal where we see Tom, who's obviously been traumatized by the events ten years ago to admit himself into an institution, take on Harry Warden's persona.
The scene in the mine where Tom's smashing the lights and each time one goes out he changes into Warden was nicely done. Also, the very last scene when Tom looks into the camera with the psycho eyes, I think that scared me more than most of the movie.

The cast was good, as well. Kerr Smith did the whole cheating on wife/jealous of wife's ex/angry sheriff thing convincingly, though I had some trouble separating Ackles' Tom from Dean Winchester. But he was good, actually a lot better than at least I'd expect from a lead in a slasher. Not meaning to offend anyone, but honestly, horror flicks don't usually give the best performances by actors. Still, he nailed it at the end and as Harry Warden, he was damn scary.

All in all, I'd say it's a nice fun horror flick to spend an evening with. A bit different than most (and I don't mean just the 3D), a bit heavy on the nakedness/gore (as most slashers are) and with some funny bits thrown in.

Favorite line: "Just shoot us both."

No comments:

Post a Comment